KISSES IN THE WIND

I hold you in my heart and touch you in my dreams
You are here each day with me, at least that is how it seems.

I know you wonder where we are.....what' s taking us so long,
But remember child, I love you so and God will keep you strong.

Now go outside and feel the breeze and let it touch your skin...
Because tonight, just as always, I blow you kisses in the wind .

May God hold you in his hand until I can be with you,
I promise you, my darling , I 'm doing all that I can do.

Very soon, you'll have a family for real, not just pretend.
But for tonight, just as always, I blow you kisses in the wind.

May God wrap you in His arms and hold you very tight.
And let the angels bring the kisses that I send to you each night.

-Author unknown

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Why . . . Why. . . Why?

Ok - this doesn't have anything to do with our adoption - but I just had to share it! My youngest son, Jacob, just cracks me up and touches my heart so many times! Here's what I wrote about today:

Jacob, 4 years old, loves to ask “Why?” It doesn’t matter whether I start the conversation or he does – it will inevitably contain this common question. Today was no different.

While I was cutting Jacob’s hair outside on a warm winter day, we chatted about many things . . . cartoons, his toys, school, etc. But the best part of the conversation started off with a comment I made about his “crazy” hair.
“Why is it crazy?” Jake asked.
“Because it doesn’t know which way it wants to go. Some of it goes this way, and some goes that way, so I never know which way to comb it. It just has these crazy curls and waves.”
“Why?” he asked. (Here we go again)
“I don’t know. That’s just the way God made you.” I replied.
“Why did he make my hair like that?” he asked so sweetly.
“That’s a good question to ask God.” I thought that would appease him.
“But why did He make my hair like that?” He looked at me puzzled. “Was He trying to be FUNNY?”

I tried so hard not to laugh at his sweet innocence and insatiable curiosity. I could clearly see that he was trying to figure out the reasoning behind it all . . . figuring out the “why”. I did go on to explain that he was daddy’s son, and since daddy had wavy, curly hair, that’s why he had the same hair. God just wanted to make him like daddy. That answer seemed to please and satisfy him. . . . Finally.

I’ve long thought he will grow up to be an engineer or something along those lines – ever since he figured out how to take apart the metal arm on my front screen door when he was barely 2 years old (then proceeded to hand it to me saying “Meghan did it”. No she didn’t Jacob. “Daddy?” Nope). I didn’t even know how to take it off!

I also love it when I’m in the midst of concentrating or squinting, and Jacob will almost always ask me, “Are you mad, Mommy?” or “Why are you mad, Mommy?” It’s precious to see him watching those around him and trying to figure out what they are thinking and feeling. He definitely makes me more conscious of the expressions I am carrying around on my face everyday.

I pray that God develops that curiosity for His glory and His plans for Jacob’s life . . . for good and not evil . . . to prosper and not to harm. At times I can get frustrated with the endless why’s, but if I stop to really listen and seriously answer him – I just fall in love, over and over again, with this curious blessing in my life! . . . . . . . .Why? . . . . . . . . I’ll let you figure that one out!

-Lori :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Lori. Maybe Jacob gets his Why Syndrome from me. I am always asking WHY?? :)

I love your posts. Many times I tear up as I read about your adoption journey. My mother's heart empathizes with your mother's heart. You are so precious. I love you.

Kelly

Anonymous said...

hey lori...it's been a while, but glad to be back in the loop. wow - how awesome is God! don't you just love how He works things out. wendy is so precious, watching the video just melts my heart too:) she's so adorable, can't wait til she joins your family. i'll be praying about the april visit. (in the video - the baby in the house, she was so precious - i couldn't stop smiling).

jacob is cute, i love the curiosity in children. we wonder why they ask "why?" and they probably wonder why we don't...you know (that's deep - never really thought about it until now, with this blog). we lose something as we grow older, that childlike innocense that God requires of us in order to enter the kingdom of heaven, as the word says. if only we could recapture the child within us and experience life through the eyes and heart of a child. oh, how touched the Father would be. well, until next time, keep writing. hope to see you soon.

love,
charity